These are some of the Goals of the Potterville Volunteer Fire Company for 2013.
- We are expanding our Chief's/Computer office this year because the present space is insufficient to meet our present needs. The approximated $9,000 cost to accomplish this is being funded by the Fire company
- We are replacing our Chief's/Command Vehicle a 1999 unit with over 125,000 miles. Capital funding of approximately $35,000 for this replacement will be provided by Bedminster Township. We hope to have the new Chief’s/Command Vehicle by June. Once we have it we will have to expend an additional $7,000 to outfit it with radios and such.
- Complete the update of our turnout gear (personal protection worn by firefighters). Capital funding of approximately $25,000 for this update will be provided by Bedminster Township. We will be updating approximately 12 sets of gear at a cost of $2,300 each. The National Fire protection Association [NFPA] has mandated a 10 years replacement cycle for turnout gear which is checked periodically by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration [OSHA].
- We applied for a FEMA Grant to install a vehicle exhaust extraction system for our engine bay to exhaust the diesel fumes but again were denied. After 4 attempts it appears to be a fruitless venture. We will fund this effort on our own and stop wasting our time with the Federal Government. We will do the project in two phase at about $14,000 each and hope to have sufficient funds to start this project next year.
- It costs us over $7,000 a year for State/Federal mandated annual training classes conducted at our facility as well as yearly training at the Somerset County Fire Academy in their live burn and smoke buildings. We presently have a new member who is taking Firefighter I classes at the Somerset County Fire Academy. This entails him going to classes 2 nights a week and a number of weekends from February through June. He will have expended over 200 hours of classroom time, practical and live burn exercises and travel by the time he graduates from the Fire Academy.
- This year we are going to repair our existing Deceased Firemen's Memorial. In addition we plan to expand the Memorial to include a new 911 Memorial to display one of the last pieces of the World Trade Center Steel from the Twin Towers. We obtained the steel from the Port Authority last year and had a dedication ceremony with the Bedminster and Tewksbury Township officials along with officials from the State of New Jersey and the Port Authority last year. We estimate the cost will be about $20,000 to $25,000.
Thank you to all 2012 donors. WE DEPEND ON YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
We as a Volunteer Fire Company must raise over 40% of our annual Budget through our Annual Antique Show, Annual Fund Drive and various other Fund Raising activities. To give you an idea of some of our expenses the cost of outfitting a Firefighter with Personal Protective Equipment [PPE] is listed below. A Fully-Equipped Firefighter requires approximately $8,835 of PPE to address the numerous emergency situations they encounter such as but not limited to entering a smoke filled burning building or attacking a vehicle fire. This equipment is checked periodically and serviced annually. It must be replaced when no longer serviceable. Donations are always welcomed. Thank you.
Helmet - $350
Turnout Gear - [Coat & Bunker Pants] - $2,320
Boots - $305
Gloves - $80
Nomex Shirt & Hood - $115
SCBA [Self Contained Breathing Apparatus] with Air Bottle - $5,150
SCBA Mask - $225
PASS Device [Personal Alarm Safety System] - $290
The NFPA [National Fire Protective Association] recommends a 10 year replacement cycle for Turnout Gear.
How to make a donation
Donations may be sent via checks payable to:
Pottersville Volunteer Fire Company
PO Box 98
Pottersville, NJ 07979